Tuesday, June 12, 2012

To Prime or Not to Prime

This is the summer of my discontent. My search for the perfect primer continues.

Honestly the jury is still out for me.
The differences I've noticed are marginal at least for the primers I've tried.

Anything from L'oreal to Lancome and I'm still unsure.

First impressions are all the same to me at least on the silicon based products. I truthfully couldn't tell you the difference between the Monistat Chaffing Gel and the Mac Prep + Prime. They smell the same and the consistency is virtually indistinguishable from one another.

I started using the Revlon Beyond Naturals primer which did nothing except turn me into a greaseball.  Then I tried the L'oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting base but found its thick consistency to be caky and somewhat irritating to pat $13 for an itty bitty jar of product.

Then I began to use the Lancome Le Base for a period of time and I did enjoy the shine control it offered. Longer than other primers I have tried but when I ran out I couldn't bring myself to repurchase so I opted for the chaffing gel.

I was really excited to try the chaffing gel because of all the positive attention it has been receiving from the YouTube community and beyond. And you could definitely not beat the price. For $5.99 you receive 1.5 oz (42g) of product. It did the same job as the Lancome but just a little bit better.

However it broke me out, to the extreme. I read the ingredients and it became no mystery to me. It's made up of 1.2% dimenthicone which causes breakouts. Within a day of using this product 5 blistery pimples formed on my chin.

I am disappointed but not surprised. I remember hearing that the reason many people's skin react harshly to the MAC Studio Sculpt foundation is because it does contain dimenthicone which gives the foundation its unique gel consistency.

So until I find that perfect primer that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside I'll just stick it out and wear my foundation the old fashioned way.

Suggestions?



No comments:

Post a Comment